Monday, May 4, 2009


<- That's me on the right!

I didn't really think life could get more daunting than it felt the day I graduated from Wittenberg. May of 2008, and I was looking ahead to . . . well nothing really. No job lined up, no acceptance letter to grad school, and the prospect of moving back home to live with my parents all added up to a very un-cool summer outlook. To me, no matter how confidently I stated it, "I'm taking a year off" just sounded like "I'm totally unprepared and I don't know what I'm going to do with myself". Compared to the plans of friends, (med-school, internship in Australia, teaching English abroad, moving to the east coast) my plans to move home, work as a Certified Nurse's Aide (CNA) or Patient Care Tech (PCT), and apply to nursing school for the following year, just seemed a little un-glamorous, and un-grown-up.
Fast forward 10 months, and here I am, working full-time and looking forward to the start of grad school in September. Life got a little better than even I expected, but I think I'll save the nursing school application saga for the next time I post.
So, maybe you're graduating in 12 short days and you're thinking, CRAP what next!? Or, maybe you are one of the people that everyone else is envious of cause you got that internship in NYC, or your first choice grad school spot (congrats!). Regardless, I want to share with you a quote that pushed me through when I started doubting myself:

...Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present...

Until next time,
HH

No comments:

Post a Comment